- Watershed: Nechako Reservoir
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Distance from Houston: 60km+
- Cell Coverage: No
- Never venture out into the back country without proper gear and emergency provisions.
Sorry no amenities for this adventure
Drive right to the alpine! Sweeney Mountain offers many activities 12 months of the year. A snowmobile destination in winter, and an awesome hiking and sight-seeing spot in the summer. Many people ski the glaciers in the summer time making Sweeney one of the few spots where you can downhill ski ALL YEAR!
Hiking to Sweeney Peak is relatively easy for the back county adventurer. Starting from the parking area, you hike up to the plateau, and then follow the ridge line to the peak. The peak stands at 2219m and offers stunning views of the surrounding Sibola Range, Sibola Peak, Rhine Crag, Mount Ney and even down to the end of Tahtsa Lake.
There is a shorter route to a minor peak that still offers great views of the Whitting Creek drainage.
The road up Sweeney is rough, and requires four wheel drive and high clearance. A spare tire and lots of gas is a must.
There is an active mining camp at timberline, please do not stop or interrupt operations on the mountain.
- Head South of town on the Morice River FSR
- At 27 km keep going straight onto the Morice-Owen FSR
- At 56.5 km turn right onto the Nadina Main FSR
- At 74 km keep left
- At 81 km keep right
- At 89 km keep right
- At 100.5 km keep left
- At 113 km turn right onto the Sweeney Rd
- At 13 km turn right onto the Emerald Glacier Rd
- Head up the mountain (4x4 required) after approx. 7 kilometers there is a switchback with enough room for parking (see map)