- Watershed: Nadina
- Difficulty: Easy
- Trail Length: 370m
- Round Trip: 30-45min
- Distance from Houston: 60km+
- Cell Coverage: No
- NOTICE: Due to forestry activity and the 2018 Nadina Fire, the road system and km markers have all changed. Directions may not be 100% accurate.
Newcombe Lake is located in Upper Nadina watershed and is moderate-large in size. The lake is fairly wide and shallow. Smaller rainbow trout are known to be in the lake. At the south end, Nadina River flows out of Newcombe Lake and heads to Nadina Lake. There are many islands in the lake and a few small bays.
There are two spots to access the lake. The north access is off the Duel Lakes Road at 102.75 km. There is a recent cutblock on the left side of the road. The trail goes through the middle of the block and is buffered by residual smaller trees from the harvesting. The north portage is approx. 370m and easy to follow.
The south access can be done only with 4 wheel drive and needs good clearance. It is located off the Barr Lake Road and goes through an old plantation. The south portage is approx. 175m and easy to follow.
Please do not leave trash on site.
There are no directional or trail head signs for this site, use your map and GPS.
There are two routes to get to Newcombe Lake
- Head west of town and turn onto the Morice River FSR
- At 27 km keep going straight onto the Morice-Owen FSR
- At 56.5 km turn right onto the Nadina Main FSR
- At 74 km turn right onto the Hill Tout FSR
- At 79 km turn right onto the Duel Lakes Rd
- At 98.75 km there is the junction with the Barr Lake Road:
To access the north portage keep to the right at 98.75km junction and continue on the Duel Lakes Road.
At around 101.75 km the trail heads off on the left (not marked – see map)
To access the south portage turn left at the 98.75km junction onto the Barr Lake Road
At 101 km turn right
Just before 102 km turn right onto an unmarked road
Keep left at the next junction and follow the road until it stops
The trail takes off on the left (not marked – see map)