- Watershed: Nechako Reservoir
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Trail Length: 6.25
- Round Trip: All Day
- Distance from Houston: 60km+
- Cell Coverage: No
- Never venture out into the back country without proper gear and emergency provisions.
Sorry no amenities for this adventure
Backcountry Route hikes are only for the most advanced and experienced hikers. The trails featured as “routes” are generally not marked in the bush and have no posted signs. These routes are merely suggestions of how to get up the mountain. Advanced navigational skills will be required. A combination of GPS data, spatially referenced digital maps, as well as a compass will be necessary for the best success. There are no amenities in the wilderness. Never venture out into the back country without proper gear and emergency provisions.
Sibola Mountain has a long history of activity. The south face of the mountain is carved up with numerous old mining trails dating back to the early 1900’s. These trails are easy to navigate and allow for endless recreational opportunities.
Hiking the roads makes for an easy day, or you can head up to the alpine and continue on to the peak. ATV-ing is quite common in the area in the summer and snowmobiling in the winter months.
Mountain biking on Sibola Mountain was featured in the film Follow the Fraser. Click here to watch the film.
Check out our page for camping at nearby Sweeney Lake.
- Head South of town on the Morice River FSR
- At 27 km keep going straight onto the Morice-Owen FSR
- At 56.5 km turn right onto the Nadina Main FSR
- At 74 km keep left
- At 81 km keep right
- At 89 km keep right
- At 100.5 km keep left
- At 113 km turn right onto the Sweeney Rd
- At 9.75 km turn right onto an unnamed road
- Drive up this road for approx. 3.6 km until you get to the Whitting Creek crossing. Park here. (4x4 required)
- Some years in low water you can cross the creek with ATV or a truck with good clearance. Use caution if you choose to do this. Similarly, use caution when crossing the creek on foot.