- Watershed: Upper Bulkley
- Difficulty: Easy
- Trail Length: 1.9 km
- Round Trip: 45min - 1.5 hours
- Distance from Houston: 0-10km
- Cell Coverage: Yes
- Cell Service
Links and Downloads
The Old Pines Nature Trail is located within Morice Mountain Nordic Ski area. Fixed up in 2009, the trail starts in an old sawmill landing and heads north up a recent skid trail. The trail winds around mature second growth logging plantation before coming out onto the wetland surrounding Beaver Pelt Lake. Wooden boardwalks provide a good glimpse of a Beaver Lodge and Dam as well as some of the wetland’s tiny carnivorous plants, the Sundew.
This trail is great for families with smaller kids and is easy to complete.
Winter Snowshoeing and Skiing
- Head west of Houston and turn left onto Buck Flats Road.
- Travel 7.5 Km until you reach the Morice Mountain Nordic Ski lodge on your right.
- Head down the mainline for 1.1 Km towards the Silverthorne Lake Rec Site.
- Turn right and cross the bridge.
- Keep driving for 1.6 Km until you reach the landing with the trail head sign.